sweet tomatoes potato leek soup recipe

sweet tomatoes potato leek soup recipe

Very delicious! Jazz it up with spices and spin it in any direction you want. You may have to do this in two batches. Stir in garlic. 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for garnish), 600 grams (21 ounces) small sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into coins. Sprinkle in the cumin and combine well. Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft. I usually add more leeks, potatoes and stock so both my husband and I have enough for the week. This soup thickens as it cools. Since the star ingredient in this stew is sweet potatoes, let's talk quick about how you pick them! Heres how it goes: First, saut the veggies. Season with salt, pepper, and spice mixture. Let cool slightly and pour the soup into a blender, working in batches if necessary, and blend until smooth. Leave a Comment. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on their web site. Preheat the oven to 170C (150C fan) mark 3. (If using a standard blender, be sure not to fill the jar more than halfway; leave the hole in the lid open and cover loosely with a dishtowel to allow the heat to escape.). Add the leeks and garlic and cook, stirring regularly, until soft and wilted, about 10 minutes. 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth 3 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes 1 15 ounce can coconut milk Instructions Preheat oven to 450F. Sweet potatoes are full. 1100 Fairview Ave N Will be making this again!! Wow Im surprised at how easily and delicious this turned out! Serve hot, garnished with fresh thyme, chives, or anything you like. Step. I was looking for the perfect hearty, Autumn vegetarian soup and well this fit the bill totally!! Check the seasonings. Stir the garlic in and cook for 30 seconds. Theyre notoriously sandy and dirty, and very good at hiding it, so be sure to wash them well. A handful of baby spinach is stirred in at the end for a pop of awesome green. Can you sub vegetable broth with chicken broth? Pure. Add the stock and the sweet potatoes. Fish out the thyme sprig and bay leaves, thenpurethe soup with a hand-held immersion blender until smooth. We generally like less salt and we were very pleased with your recipe and will definitely make again. Its the perfect warm-your-belly comfort meal. Check out our video on Bag & Freeze Basics. It won't make a difference to the flavor of the soup. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Hit cancel on our Instant Pot and lock the lid with the valve in the sealing position. Pumpkin soup. Turn the . Dump any water out of the bowl of the spinner, return the basket, cover and spin the leeks to remove the excess water. This sweet potato soup recipe is soup-er (I had to!) Add your garlic and onions and cook for 3 or so minutes, stir so the garlic doesnt burn. I used the slow cooker method and added a half bag frozen corn because I always add corn to soups/stews. Except in Greek lemon potatoes and Batata Harra, you can pretty much replace a regular potato for sweet potato in many recipes. Add the onions, chili, bay leaf, and sweet potato and saut about 2 minutes. Instructions. Please let me know by leaving a review below. It has a mild, not spicy, taste with an Asian flair. I wasnt sure how it would turn out so I didnt plan to serve it with anything else, but next time, for dinner, Ill serve it with a spinach, bacon w/ warm vinaigrette salad. Make this sweet potato and red pepper soup in just a few simple steps. Good Housekeeping, Part of the Hearst UK Fashion & Beauty Network. 1 tablespoon cooking fat like coconut oil or. We love to eat, travel, cook, and eat some more! On a cold winter or fall night, warm up with this creamy sweet potato soup! Tortilla Strips: Cut the tortillas into small strips. It gets a little Eastern Mediterranean flare with a few warm spices like cumin and turmeric. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Always looking for quick delicious one pot meals. Food blogger Marc Matsumoto shares tips for cleaning leeks in a full post on the Fresh Tastes blog. Cover, then transfer to the oven for 1-2hr, by which time the vegetables will be very tender. That's it! Absolutely full of flavor. And when they're cooked, they get this incredibly sweet and creamy texture that is just to die for. Sure! Add the sweet potato, 1 cup soy milk, and water. Step. Prepare the soup: Add sweet potatoes and stir to combine. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, red pepper and carrots in oil for 3 minutes. Bring to a boil for about 10 minutes, then turn burner to low heat. Rate the recipe: 5 stars means you loved it, 1 star means you really disliked it. large leeks, white and light green parts only, roughly chopped (about, Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped into, I'm Jenn Segal - Classically Trained Chef, Cookbook Author & Busy Mom, 30 Comforting Soup Recipes To Warm You Up, French Lentil and Vegetable Soup with Bacon. Cook until the potatoes are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Be the first to leave one. Bring to a boil. (1 very large or 2 medium sweet potatoes), Prepare all the ingredients: Thinly slice the leek, discarding the tough green parts. Roughly chop the red pepper, sweet potato, and onion. Stir in garlic. Place on tray and cook for 45 minutes or until completely softened. Home Dishes & Beverages Soups Cream Soups. Then, mix in the apple cider vinegar, followed by the broth and the coconut milk. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. This healthy, vegetarian sweet potato stew will surprise your taste buds in the best way possible! Get our best recipes delivered to your inbox. I served this over couscous with roasted chickpeas on top, and I also added a little skillet cooked chicken seasoned with turmeric, cumin, paprika, and garlic just to add a little extra protein. Video Nutrition Add the sweet potatoes, regular potato, apples and water. Sweet potatoes have more flavor than regular potatoes with lots of vitamins, and this recipe is relatively easy to make. - Baby spinach, carrots, tomatoes Fresh baby spinach and carrots add more veggies to the stew and take on the flavors well. Food Home Recipes Sweet Potato Leek Soup. Preheat the oven to 200C (or 180C fan-forced). Thanks so much for sharing your adaptations, Stacy! Such a nice fall themed meal! There are actually several kinds of sweet potatoes, but I'm partial to the bright-orange spuds. Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add leeks and cook until golden, 4-5 minutes. A great paleo soup to prepare when fresh and local vegetables are plentiful. Subscriber benefit: give recipes to anyone. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired. I also subbed Butternut squash in place of carrots. Select the manual function and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Set aside. I don't like being unfamiliar or inexperienced when it comes to cooking with any given ingredient. Season with salt and pepper and serve with a dusting of cilantro. Whatever method you prefer! Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. All rights reserved. Now, for a couple of simple vegan starters before you serve the stew, you can do a big Shirazi salad and maybe some baba ganoush. Season with salt, pepper, and spice mixture. Use an immersion blender to carefully blend the soup until the desired consistency. Finally, add the heavy cream. - Sweet potatoes Earthy and sweet, sweet potatoes are the star of the stew. Add tomatoes, broth, and a healthy pinch of sea salt. Step 2. This is on my regular meal rotation. It can also be made and then frozen for up to three months, so is the perfect starter option for a dinner party or Sunday lunch. PBS is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. Or snap a photo and share it on Instagram; be sure to tag me @onceuponachef. This was yummy and easy!!!! * DI: Recommended Daily Intake based on 2000 calories diet. (I added a chilli which gave it a bit of a kick). 22 Quick and Easy Recipes in 30 Minutes (or less) + 5 Chef Secrets To Make You A Better Cook! Paleo Leap is the oldest and biggest resource online, covering everything about the paleo diet. Allow soup to cool slightly, then pure it in a blender. Add the garlic and leeks to the pan and cook for approximately 3-4 minutes to allow everything to soften. Since the weather outside is a bit chillier, I figure there is nothing better than a cozy bowl of stew. (Alternatively, use a standard blender to pure the soup in batches; see note.) Cook and stir until peanut butter is melted. Season with salt and pepper and serve with a dusting of cilantro. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of curry powder. This soup is a keeper literally. A dynamic duo, indeed. This will allow the leeks to release their sweet flavor. Add the potatoes, broth, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper to pot and bring to a boil. If the sweet potato feels squishy or the flesh gives, its probably passed its prime. Cook, stirring, until the leeks are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. 29 oz canned diced tomatoes; 1 cup black beans dry; 1 small zucchini; 1/2 onion, chopped; 24 oz sweet potato; Directions. Sweat 4 chopped leeks and 4 large cubed potatoes in 1tbsp vegetable oil for 10 mins, stirring occasionally until softened but not browned. Add heavy cream and stir. For this light, brothy stew, use the vegetables of late spring and early summer from your CSA share: leeks, potatoes, garlic and spinach. Bring soup to a simmer and cook, partly covered, until potatoes begin to fall apart, 45 to 50 minutes. It is so tempting to buy those massive sweet potatoes at the supermarket, but try to refrain and get those smaller ones. Three values guide my cooking: eat with the seasons; use whole foods; and above all, share! This will allow the leeks to release their sweet flavor. Using a large stockpot, heat the avocado oil over medium heat. For this dish in particular, feel free to add one more leek into the mix. Allow natural release for 10 minutes, then follow with quick release. 2 teaspoon ground cumin. A drizzle of rich Greek extra virgin olive oil! Add the broth, tomatoes and sweet potato. Note: The information shown is Edamams estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. Add the stock and the sweet potatoes. A dynamic duo, indeed. Remove the bay leaf and puree the soup. Fish out the thyme sprig and bay leaves, then pure the soup with a hand-held immersion blender until smooth. Can you serve this sweet potato stew as a side? This soup is pureed at the end with a blender, but it can also be enjoyed with the vegetables still in chunks. Garnished with parsley & a few crispy shallots & potatos (fried them up in a separate pan). Served in over cous cous and it was so good. I havent even added the cream yet and it tastes outstanding!!! It was super easy. Add sweet potatoes and 3 cups water. There are 150 calories in a 1 cup serving of Souplantation & Sweet Tomatoes Irish Potato Leek Soup. I love this soup so much exactly as written. Add water and stock, and bring to a boil. Banana Squash Soup with Sweet Potato and Green Apple. Good Housekeeping participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. Thank you! It has a rich, sweet, and smoky flavor, with a tangy finish from apple cider vinegar. Remove with tongs, drain on paper towels, and sprinkle with salt. Cool slightly. 1 tablespoon cooking fat like coconut oil or clarified butter, 1 onion. Add the broth, bring it to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potatoes and cauliflower are tender, about 20 . Add onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally and making sure garlic does not burn. Add the stock and salt to taste. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Add the leeks and stir often for about 8-10 minutes or until fully softened, but not browned. Cut the top of the garlic head. Dump in the canned tomatoes and the broth and give it a good stir to combine the ingredients. Season to taste and leave to cool slightly. Add the potatoes, leeks and celery. Place sweet potatoes onto a large baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. If you wish, set aside about 2 tablespoons of sauteed leeks for garnish. The potato should feel firm and have fairly smooth skin. Add salt and white pepper to taste, as well as more soymilk if you want the soup thinner. Im so glad you enjoyed the soup! Use your hand to swirl the water around and dislodge any dirt from between the leek's rings. In your slow cooker, add chopped onions, garlic, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Not only are sweet potatoes delicious, and hearty, but they are packed to the brim with nutrition minerals, vitamins, fiber, antioxidants, and so much more! Oh, sweet potatoesone of my favorite versatile veggies! 1 week ago onceuponachef.com Show details . Add onion, garlic, carrot, and potato and cook for 5 minutes. I love sweet potatoes in any form and will never turn down a dish with these beauties! Okay, I think you get the picture. Discover more pumpkin recipes. Add the leeks and saut for 8 to 10 minutes, until softened (but not browned). Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their own nutrition fact sources and algorithms. It may sound strange to you, but one of the things that most excites me about sweet potatoes is that they are great for gut health. Leave a Private Note on this recipe and see it here. I added a sprig of rosemary to the pot. Just one question..could I use precut frozen sweet potatoes ? Here, you will find easy, tested-to-perfection, wholesome recipes with big flavors from all over the Mediterranean. The first time I didnt have coriander so I used tarragon and parsley and it was delicious. Then add the garlic and stir for another minute. Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Jack and I spent the first official week of fall eating bowl after bowl of this sweet potato soup. Once upon a time, I went to culinary school and worked in fancy restaurants. Return the soup to the pot to reheat. 3 cloves garlic, 2 or 3 large leeks. Cover the pot, but leave a small opening so the pot doesnt boil over. Find trusted recipes for creamy and comforting sweet potato soup and sweet potato stew. Pure. 59 Ratings. Cook for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are fully cooked and tender. Add leeks, and saut slowly over low heat until tender but not brown, about 10 minutes. This was perfect! Check seasonings. When cooking with leeks, always make sure you soak them or rinse them very well prior to use. They have a taste that'sreminiscentof onions, except that the taste is much milder. VISIT OURONLINE SHOPFOR QUALITY OLIVE OILS, ALL-NATURAL SPICES AND MORE, Keywords: Sweet Potato Stew, Vegetarian Sweet Potato Stew, Tag @themediterraneandish on Instagram and hashtag it #themediterraneandish, I'm Suzy; born and bred right on the shores of the Mediterranean. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Add the stewed tomatoes, chicken broth, and potatoes to the pot. When youre ready to eat, portion the creamy sweet potato soup into bowls. Heat the oil over medium-high heat. You'll love this healthier twist on the classic potato leek soup. 30 minutes, plus at least 8 hours chilling and freezing, Florence Fabricant, Jonah Miller, Nate Adler. Allow the soup to cool slightly before transferring it to a large blender and pureeing until smooth. You can keep some in the freezer for those days when you get home late, tired, and hungry and want something soothing and tasty in a hurry. Dump in the canned tomatoes and the broth and give it a good stir to combine the ingredients. Directions. Pierce the washed sweet potatoes several times with a fork, then rub with a tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are very soft. If soup is too thin, simmer until thickened. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Alternatively, cool the soup quickly in a freezerproof container, then freeze for up to three months.

Eagle Eye Road Glide For Sale, Mark Simone Wife, Do I Have Main Character Energy Quiz, Reverend Bernie Luthuli, Las Vegas To Sequoia National Park Roadtrip, Articles S

Comments are closed.